Head of Facilities
We are hiring an experienced Head of Facilities to lead all facets of facility management. The purpose of this role is to oversee and manage Thrive’s physical environment, building systems and equipment, space planning, and all real estate activities in Baltimore, Cambridge and any future expansion sites. This leadership role will develop and implement strategic plans and solutions to support company growth, including requirements for space and infrastructure, initiate and manage projects as needed, and direct staff in the delivery of day-to-day core services. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Engages with senior leadership and other key stakeholders to proactively align facilities with Thrive’s evolving operational needs and rapidly expanding workforce, balancing the needs of a nimble organization with practical concerns for safety, security and EHS.
- Ensures facilities are appropriately designed, appointed and operated to enable our workforce to be effective, to reflect our culture and to foster connectivity across sites.
- Develops, manages and is accountable for the annual and long-term global facilities strategy and associated budget.
- Oversees and/or manages the design, planning and construction of buildings and infrastructure to support offices and laboratories at all current and potential future sites.
- Handles negotiations with landlords for site leases, renewals and renegotiation of lease terms as the company’s space needs change over time.
- Directs the EHS program to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and guidelines.
- Ensures that site security systems provide proper protection for employees, company assets, and intellectual property. This may also involve oversight for disaster and contingency planning.
- Manages delivery of core services, including lab management in collaboration with the Head of Lab Operations, asset management, equipment and building maintenance, preventative maintenance services, emergency repair services, equipment certification and shipping/receiving.
- Provides day-to-day leadership for Facilities; manages, develops and mentors direct reports and members of the Facilities team.
- Develops department policies and procedures, as appropriate, and leads or participates in teams that are developing corporate policies and/or initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible experience in Facilities Management preferably in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology or other related, regulated environment.
- Demonstrated strategic and operational leadership experience for a company with a multi-site facilities presence, including lab, office and production-scale operations infrastructure.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with senior leaders and across functions to proactively and effectively design the facilities needs of a rapidly growing, multi-site company.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Experience developing and managing a multi-site facilities budget.
- Demonstrated ability to select and manage multiple third-party service providers/vendors.
- Experience with environmental health and safety management programs and compliance.
- Experience with managing, coaching and mentoring.
- Detail oriented, resourceful, creative and flexible with superior people and customer service skills for interacting with a wide constituency.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, and to influence without direct authority, in a fast-paced, matrixed, team environment consisting of internal and external team members.
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.