Laboratory Manager, Pre-Analytical and Protein
We are seeking an experienced Manager, Pre-Analytical Lab. The successful candidate will work closely with Laboratory Operations management to schedule and perform routine molecular biology and next-generation sequencing procedures following Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in accordance with regulatory guidelines. This person will be accountable for supervising and mentoring lab personnel, providing technical guidance to resolve laboratory issues, working with senior management to assure goals are being met, and managing and developing workflows to maximize team potential.
- Planning, scheduling and execution of laboratory work in order to meet established deadlines and priorities as part of a cross-functional team.
- Provide daily guidance and oversight to the lab team to meet processing expectations.
- Supervise lab specialists, coordinate training for lab specialists, and hold accountability for completion of lab tasks by team members.
- Serve as a point of contact for scientific expertise in the lab and be able to answer questions on procedures and experiments.
- Assist in capacity modeling, process improvement and sample-throughput planning.
- Perform routine molecular biology lab duties such as protein analysis and analytical development for samples post PCR and DNA sequencing (NGS).
- Perform and document all specimen test procedures with accuracy, consistency and timeliness in accordance with laboratory SOPs and regulatory guidelines.
- Assist with the generation and updating of laboratory SOPs.
- Perform basic lab maintenance tasks such as ordering laboratory reagents, oligonucleotides and other lab supplies, and keeping detailed lab records.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and perform day-to-day work on next-generation sequencing equipment (e.g., Illumina HiSeq).
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant chemical, physical or biological field.
- 4+ years of wet lab experience performing molecular biology procedures. Experience with PCR is required.
- Prior experience managing a team and a demonstrated ability to supervise, mentor, and train, preferably in a production environment.
- Working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and other relevant regulatory agency standards such as CLIA.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
- Proficiency with basic laboratory calculations, such as dilutions and weights.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to manage several tasks at once and develop workflows for lab personnel.
- Strong background in molecular biology and a demonstrated ability to understand new scientific concepts.
- Experience creating and managing laboratory scheduling and workloads.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients.
- Strong leadership competencies such as decision making, influencing, conflict resolution and coaching. Excellent oral and written communication skills, and critical problem-solving abilities.
- Previous experience with next-generation sequencing would be an advantage, as well as analytical development and characterization of DNA samples.